Beginning Rigid Heddle Weaving: Quickie Cricket Scarf $145.00
Instructor: Stephanie Hill
Designed to give students a quick taste of rigid heddle weaving. Students will learn direct warping, the fastest way to go from an empty loom to a loom that is ready to weave. At the end of class students will have a woven scarf and the knowledge to weave on a rigid heddle loom straight out of the box.
In this class you will complete 1 project, to help you learn:
- Basic weaving terminology
- How to direct warp a rigid heddle loom
- How to secure the ends of your weaving
- How to estimate yarn quantities for weaving projects
- Differences in rigid heddle looms made by various manufacturers
Student use of Schacht 10” Cricket looms and accessories is included in the class. A refundable security deposit of $60 is required on the second day of class and will be returned on the last day when all equipment has been returned in good condition. Students who have their own rigid heddle looms should make arrangements to have said looms and related accessories reviewed by the instructor to verify they are complete, in good working order, are appropriate for the Direct Warping method used in class. Please note that there are space constraints that limit the size of looms that can be accommodated in class. Let us know when you sign up if you have your own loom you would like to use in class. Please tell us the type of loom you have and the size (i.e. Schacht Flip, 15”, Ashford Knitter’s Loom, 28”, etc.). If the loom will not work well with the class set up, the instructor will still provide instruction and guidance for the student’s loom.
Materials: Yarn for the class project is included in the cost of the class.
- Project 1 – A scarf using 2 skeins of worsted weight yarn (200 yds/100 g each).
Schedule: 3 hours each day (times may vary. Please see class description for actual class time-frame)
- Day 1: – Measure Warp for Project 1.
- Day 2: – Dress the loom for Project 1, Begin weaving.
- Finish weaving at home.
- Day 3: – Remove Project 1 from the loom, Learn a few techniques, Return all Equipment.