Advanced Weaving Classes
Beginning Level Classes – No Experience Necessary. Looms Provided.
Intermediate Level Classes – Next step after beginner classes. Must own a loom to use in classes.
Advanced Level Classes – Confidence in weaving and loom set-up on your own is required. Must own a loom to use in classes.
Instructor: Stephanie Hill
Day 1: Sun. February 4th, 10am-4:30pm
Day 2: Sun. February 11th, 10am-4:30pm
Day 3: Sun. February 25th, 10am-4:30pm
Day 4: Sun. March 4th, 10am-1pm
Learn how to use two heddles at a time to double your sett. This class will teach the student one way to set up your rigid heddle loom using two heddles of the same epi. The set up and threading arrangement used in class allows you to weave plain weave (not all two heddle threadings can weave plain weave). Class will take you through two projects so you have two chances to warp the loom. The first project will be a sampler and the second project will be one of your own choosing, with guided design and planning in class. Please read the full class description and requirements before registering.
Prerequisites: This class assumes that you are comfortable warping, dressing, and weaving on your own — with your own loom. Experience weaving 4 or more successful projects on you own is recommended. Experience with pick up sticks, and color & weave is helpful but not required. Experience with weaving drafts will be useful but not required.
Equipment and Materials: Students must have a loom capable of weaving with two heddles at the same time. Some looms have this capability built in. Some looms require and adapter block be installed. Your loom must be ready to weave with two heddles for class. Please make sure you have any necessary adapters installed before class! Please tell us what size loom you have when registering.
- Two heddles of the same EPI. Heddles used for the first class project will be limited to 5 epi, 7.5 epi, or 8 epi. (5epi is recommended for speed and larger visible scale, but 7.5epi or 8epi will require less investment for many since most looms come with one this size already.)
- Warp requirements will depend on the heddles you will use. PLEASE HAVE ALL YARN WOUND IN CAKES, BALLS, OR ON CONES AND READY TO USE FOR CLASS. If you have yarn that needs to be wound before class, please bring it to the shop a few days before class and it can be wound and ready for you. Please bring multiple options to class or check with the instructor in advance if you are unsure.
- For 2 heddles @ 5 epi each: 160yds-270yds for warp in one or more solid colors and appropriate for weaving at a sett of 10 epi. Options may include 3/2 perle cotton, and worsted-to-sport weight yarns.
- For 2 heddles @ 7.5 epi each: 240yds-400yds for warp in one or more solid colors and appropriate for weaving at a sett of 15 epi. Options may include 5/2 perle cotton, and fingering-to-lace weight yarns.
- For 2 heddles @ 8 epi each: 260yds-430yds for warp in one or more solid colors and appropriate for weaving at a sett of 16 epi. Options may include 5/2 perle cotton, and fingering-to-lace weight yarns.
- Weft requirements are similar to warp. Bring some that is the same as your warp as well as some different colors. You may also want to try some that is thicker, thinner, or variegated or striped colors.
- Please bring all equipment and tools you use to warp your loom to class, including warp paper. Small warping boards are available to use in class. Please let us know in advance if you would like to use a shop warping board for class.
Private Lessons by appointment with Stephanie
Private lessons can be scheduled to cover topics included in classes as well as topics beyond the scope of classes.